The Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia in conjunction with the Law Society of NSW and the NSW Bar Association are appointing a panel of mediators with family law experience to be available to conduct flat fee property mediations for the Family Law Settlement Service. Appointments will be for a period of two years. Please note that appointment to the panel does not guarantee family law mediation work.
Expressions of interest are being sought from barristers with the following qualifications and experience:
- Accreditation as a mediator with the NSW Bar Association; and/OR
- Accreditation as a family dispute resolution practitioner; and
- A current NSW Bar Association practising certificate; and
- Demonstrated substantial involvement in the area of family law in the three years prior to application; and
- Demonstrated that the time devoted to this area of practice, in each year of the past three years, is not less than 25% of normal full-time practice; or
- If you are unable to meet the above criteria (for example, if you have had an illness or been on parental leave), but still wish to be considered for the FLSS Panel, it will be necessary to demonstrate your family law mediation and litigation experience.
Under the arrangements agreed with the courts, mediations will involve two hours towards preliminary conferences and reading and three hours for a mediation session at a flat fee of $990.00 excluding GST payable.
The venue for the mediation will be arranged by the mediator in consultation with the parties. Any cost of hiring a venue will be an additional cost payable by the parties.
Barristers who wish to apply be part of the service should complete the application form and return it to Megan Batchelor at the Bar Association by e-mail email@example.com by Friday, 8 April 2016. Barristers who are currently on the list will also need to re-submit an application form. Please note that late applications will not be accepted.